May 27, 2010

Step 1 - Equipment

Having done my research, I already know what I need. There are plenty of homebrew books that will tell you how to get started making your own tasty beverages. Though I'm not into the whole fermenting thing, so that eliminates a lot of reading and fine tuned science that I have to deal with. The important thing for making pop(or soda, depending on what region you're from) is that you have something to carbonate, and something to carbonate it with. This can be as cheap or as expensive as you want. If you want to drop a 5lb block into an orange camping cooler with a spigot, go right ahead. But personally I think there's just something more charming about being able to cap it and store it(and have a bit more control over carbonating, without the waste).
So I've purchased a bench top capper, some standard crown caps, and some interesting blue bottles. I ordered this all from Midwest Homebrew and Winemaking, a homebrew outlet in MN. About 3 seconds after I paid for my order, I realized that I now live in wine country, and the bottles were from a defunct brewery somewhere close to here, and I probably could have saved $20 on shipping. Oh well, blue bottles sure beat brown any day, unless of course you're trying to prevent higher energy light from oxidizing your brew. But I don't have to worry about that. Pictures yet to come.

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...