July 13, 2011

Recipe 12: Harry Potter's Butterbeer v2.0

As promised, and just in time for your release party or after party or whatever. This recipe works much better for a couple of reasons. First, I eliminated most of the salt, which was just too much for this. I may experiment with it more down the road, but why mess with success. Second, I used an invert sugar syrup to get more sweetness out of the same amount or less of sugar. If you need help with that Eddy Van Damme can help. He recommends going to 236F, That came out to boiling for 25 minutes for me.

That being said:
1/4 cup caramel malt steeped with a dash of cinnamon in 2 cups of water and filtered, see the v1.0 recipe for help on this point
1 Tbsp molasses
1 1/2 cups invert sugar syrup (about 1 lb granulated sugar)
2 1/2 tsp butter flavoring
1/2 tsp vanilla
1/2 tsp rum flavoring
dash of salt
6 drops yellow food coloring

Top up to 1 gallon with carbonated water.

This syrup came out to about 1/4c syrup per 12 oz finished beverage. It could stand to be a little sweeter. Filtered water will do you wonders. If you have chlorine in your water it will give a bit of an off flavor.

All in all, the added flavors stand out above the malt, but it's still there to give a good flavor base to build from that makes this different from a buttered rum or butterscotch. All your muggle friends will be jealous.

Also, I'd like to showcase here that Pepsi has followed Coke's lead and started selling it's Mexican produced version (No high fructose corn syrup) in glass bottles. I picked up this one at Wegman's in Erie, PA. I like the Pepsi bottle better than the Coke bottle, probably because it's more generic in shape and I can easily strip the printing and create my own label if I want. It's also the same height as my other 12oz bottles, so my bench top capper doesn't need adjusted in between bottles.

2 comments:

  1. What type of vanilla, rum, and butter flavorings do you recommend for this recipe? McCormick's style or more like Torani/Monin?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm using McCormick or Watson flavorings. Which is not to say that you couldn't use Torani or Monin Syrups, but being syrup rather than just flavor, you'd likely need more of it and you'd need to make adjustments to the sugar. Without some trial and error, I wouldn't know how much of them to use, though.

      Delete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...