March 1, 2011

Recipe 5 – Peaches N’ Cream

After my banana recipe, I’m not sure why I decided to do another “cream” recipe. Again this one had NFDM in it, but since it didn’t seem to be a problem before, I wasn’t so concerned. I’m also not sure why I didn’t think to filter this one after my experience with the banana recipe. It turned out alright, though. Here’s what I ended up with:

Syrup:

1 – 7.5oz can Peach Nectar

¼ cup Nonfat Dry Milk

2 ½ cups sugar

1/8 cup lemon juice.

1 tsp vanilla extract

-Dry blend the sugar and Nonfat Dry Milk. Add it to a sauce pan.

-Filter the Peach nectar through a coffee filter to get the pulp out, then add it to the sauce pan.

-Bring this to a simmer to get the sugar dissolved then add the lemon juice and remove it from the heat.

-Once it cools, add the vanilla.

This should give you enough syrup for a gallon of carbonated water. As you can see from the picture, it's super easy!

Dry blending the sugar and NFDM will make sure that you don’t get clumps of milk powder in your syrup, so make sure that it’s blended so that there are no lumps.

Filtering the nectar is going to be key to making this look good. I didn’t do this and I got a bunch of pulp in my soda. That’s fine if you like dregs at the bottom of your bottle, but if you don’t want a soda that requires you to “shake well before opening” you should filter it. I don’t mind it myself, but I want other people enjoy these and floaties in your bottle have a certain “ewww” factor that I don’t people to associate with my sodas. I thought that nectar would be more flavorful than just juice, but now I’m starting to rethink that plan. I think I’ll go with clarified juice from now on. It will be easier to work with and probably taste about the same in the end.

I added some food coloring to make it look less drab, if you’re into the “no artificial flavors or colors” then that’s fine, too.

This actually tasted better than I thought and the pulp sludge wasn’t so bad. I remember peach nectar being gritty with pulp, but this actually went down pretty smooth. Like the banana, though, this seems to be missing the creamy note a little bit.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...